The Byron Clan

The Byron Clan

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Birth Story

I'm not really into posting all the details for the world to see so if you want them, call me :)

I am into brevity, however. So here are the major events:

  • Contractions began on Tuesday December 7th, sometime in the middle of the night. All I can remember is that I woke up with them, not really sure what they were. As the day progressed, and as they got more intense, I finally realized what was going on.
  • I went to my regularly scheduled doctor's appointment at 3. The doctor told me I was 95% effaced and dilated to a 2. This was progress from the previous week when I hadn't been dilated at all. The doctor also told me to go ahead and schedule an appointment for the following week. I couldn't imagine going another week with contractions, so I left the appointment a little discouraged.
  • Over the next several hours my contractions became closer together and more painful. At 10:30 PM we drove to the hospital.
  • I was admitted at 11:30 PM...dilated to a 4. This was right where I wanted to be before I received my epidural, so I was pretty proud of myself that I had labored all the way to a 4 at home.
  • Epidural at midnight. This is about the time I fell in love with a man named Mark, who was my nurse anesthetist.
  • I progressed throughout the night, and around 7:30 in the morning was dilated to a 10.
  • I didn't begin pushing until about 10:30 or 11. Long story...my doc was doing a c-section, they wanted the baby's head to come down naturally, she needed to turn...yadda yadda yadda. It felt like we waited forever to start pushing.
  • Had some issues with the epidural. Finally got them resolved.
  • At 1:00 pm my doctor came in and asked if I wanted some help getting my baby here. I said yes. By 1:19 Addison made her entrance into the world.
It was the most beautiful, scary, exciting, and happy moment of my life and a moment I hope I never forget!

2 comments:

Colle said...

Seriously the epidural is the greatest I am not sure how or why women do it without. You need to put some more pictures up of your cute little girl!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I am so glad that you are all healthy and there were no real complications.